Funding request for the Media UI Rewrite 1.x and beyond

Since January 2020 I’ve been working on a new version of the Media management module for Neos CMS.

Currently funding badges can be bought via the Neos funding platform (see Media Rewrite One Time badges) or if a direct funding for my work is preferred you can also contact me.
If the crowdfunding is not sufficient it would be helpful to get a partial funding via the Neos piggy bank. Of course that depends on other projects this crazy year and what we have left.

Besides funding for my own time, additional help with development of the GraphQL API, Apollo, React, etc. stuff is very welcome and would be a great help.
If someone invests more time and we have enough funding they of course should benefit from it too.

Prerelease

Released at NeosCon 2020.

Features:

• Select asset sources, tags, collections
  • Filter asset list
  • List and thumbnail view
  • Search & selecting assets in module and inspector
  • Assets uploads
  • Changing asset details, tagging, assign collections
  • Current view is mostly persisted in local storage
  • Public GraphQL API

Version 1.x

Version 1.0 has been released on the 9th of January 2024. Exactly 4 years after I started working on this topic.

Features:

• Improved stability
  • More automated testing
  • Improved tagging and collection assigning
  • Manage collections and tags
  • Hierarchical collections and favourites
    • Hierachical privileges → v1.2
  • Clipboard
  • Drag & drop for collections → v1.1
  • Replace asset
  • Usage lists and faster usage calculation via an additional package
  • Things we realise on the way which make working with the module nicer
  • Great performance (supporting hundreds of thousands of assets)

About 25.000€ were sponsored over those 4 years that went into this version plus ~200h of working time by customers as part of projects involving the package.

Missing:

• Basic Neos 9 support → still needs funding

Special thanks to the following sponsors:

• 900€ via official Neos funding platform
  • 1500€ via direct funding to @sebobo (thx to https://www.visol.ch) → introducing previous development, reviews, previous work
  • 1500€ via direct funding to @dimaip (thx to https://www.visol.ch) → Collection & Tag management
  • 3000€ from the Neos core team budget 2020
  • 5000€ from the Neos core team budget 2021
  • 3000€ general funding from Internezzo AG via Funding badges
  • 400€ for bulk deletion from Internezzo AG
  • 1700€ for filtering unused assets (related to asset usage stretch goal) from Internezzo AG
  • 2000€ for Hierarchical organisation of Assets (e.g. folders etc.) from Visol + 1000€ for matching privileges
  • 4000€ for Hierarchical organisation of Assets and favourites feature from Punkt.de
  • 1&1 for sponsoring work time for UX, performance and smaller features as part of a larger project

And a super special thx to all contributors!

Next Milestone - v1.0 & v2.0

v2 is planned for early 2025 (subject to change depending on funding and support)

v1 gets new releases when bugs get fixed and features are finished.

Current funding amount: 0€

• Neos 9.0 Support - 0% done
  • Permissions - Allows more fine grained control over privileges in the module
  • Extensibility - Allows adding and replacing components similar to the Neos UI
  • Focus point editor - 0% done
  • Multiple configurable Neos Asset Sources → would solve many privilege issues with multi site and role setups
  • New variant tab & editor (partially done) - 50% done
  • Faster asset usage calculations and UI integration → affects Media package 80% done
    • Mostly implemented via Flowpack.NeosAssetUsage
  • Full drag & drop support - 30% done
  • Custom GraphQL adapter → urgently needed! 0% done
  • Batch editing of assets

Additional information

Feel free to ask anything :slight_smile:

Thanks!

4 Likes

I want to add that a lot more time went into the concept and implementation that would be covered by the initial 12.000€ request. But that amount would at least cover enough to make it possible to release something.

If more funding comes it would be great of course and cover more of the spent time. Also more polishing could be done. After an initial release of course maintenance is also necessary and will take quite some time.

1 Like

Hey @sebobo, I am happy to anounce sponsoring:

Feature-Sponsoring:

Addition sponsoring from internezzo to get a step closer to v1.0.0:

• 3000 EUR
4 Likes

So awesome! Thank you and to your company very much!
That will help a lot to move forward again.

The filtering was planned for a later release but I‘m sure we can build a first version in there that might have to be enabled via some setting if it‘s not stable enough for every usecase yet.

Awesome news right before the weekend :slight_smile:

Received the confirmation for another 100h by a sponsor who wants to stay anonymous for now.
But they will also have a list of features they want. So I will update the overview when I had my meetings with them and know more.
But I’m happy there is finally some progress and I can invoice some of the hours I put into the project in the past which didn’t have funding at the time :partying_face:

4 Likes