I went through the release blog posts for CKEditor5 and collected what I thought is interesting.
It would be great to have some feedback:
- would these be useful?
- is something already implemented, but I don’t know?
The latest CKEditor 16.0.0 is merged in the master branch of Neos.UI, but not yet released. Right now it’s a mix of things between 11.0.2 and 13.1.1…
- Block toolbar - not sure, but the inline editing balloon sure would be nice.
- Autosave - no action needed; we do that, but do we use “their trigger system”?
- Media embed - could this be used to seamlessly integrate what currently would be a separate node?
- Toolbars for widgets - might come in handy to expose things we’d rely on the inspector for now
- Paste from Word - needs to be installed, otherwise non-maintenance!?
- Distraction-free writing mode - combining the inline and block ballon, not sure we need this “as a feature”
- Inline widgets - could be useful to insert dynamic data inline?
- Multi-root editors - to have one editor for multiple nodes?
- Mention feature / autocomplete - for inline widgets from previous release?
- Font and background color - rather skip that -> but what about the existing highlight feature?
- Remove formatting - a must have!
- UI for navigating between balloons - if we used balloons, we should support this
- Automatic text transformation (autocorrect) - probably handy, especially if configured via NodeTypes
- Word count and character count - expose for custom code and/or display?
- Link attributes - no action needed, already supported in the UI
- Watchdog - not sure how/if this needs to be implemented, but sounds good
- RTL language support - we don’t have any RTL translation for the UI, but if we had…
- Paste from Google Docs - needs to be installed (same as Word paste feature from 11.2.0)
- Horizontal line - why not?
- Page break - might be useful for some
- Responsive toolbar - no action needed, works automatic, but really nice!
- Code blocks - not a fully featured editor, but could be used for “inline editing” code blocks displayed with e.g. PunktDe.CodeView
Not yet released (planned Feb 20th), but:
Especially the styling of cells is be something I know clients look forward to!