Keeping references to translated nodes

Hey there, I have another problem with nodes and dimensions, where I again think that I am not the first one having it or I have done something completely wrong :thinking:

A very common example: Imaging you have a blog post node which reference one or more author nodes. These author nodes are content nodes.

Lets say the blog posts are written in english. Now we translate the blog post and the page containing the author nodes to german while copying the data. The nodes in the german language are created with the same nodepath and identifier and other dimension values. That means the reference of the of the blog post in the new language automatically references the correct node.

But what if I add a new author in the default language english. There seems no built-in way to automatically add a node with same path and identifier in the other languages. That leads to the problem, that a blog post that references this new author need to be adjusted for all languages.

Seems that the flexibility and loos coupling between the translated nodes in Neos has a drawback here.

How do you handle this situation? Advice the editor to take care? Is there a magic to automatically create nodes in all dimensions? Is this a missing feature? Do I “hold it wrong”?

Ideas and advices are highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel

Your authors should be documents :slight_smile: That solves the issue usually.

@christianm: In our use case we have a lot of structured data (like Addresses), which I don’t like to have in the document node tree.
I solved the problem by automatically replicating the nodes to all dimension presets of the parent document. This was easily doable by hooking in the node signals as you suggested in Language independent nodes in a multi-language setup.

I put the code in a small package: https://github.com/punktDe/nodereplicator

Cheers,
Daniel

@daniellienert nice one but better use the options.replication... in the NodeTypes-configuration. Otherwise the configuration is invalid.

Ah thanks @mficzel!

Changed the settings right away!

1 Like