The pre Conference sprint is somewhat of a tradition started way back at FLOW3 Experience. I also think it’s nice to go to the conference location for more than just the conference, BUT I feel more and more that there is a better way to spent our time and energy.
I would like to move the sprint AFTER the conference, so starting totally chill from Sunday (or even kick off Saturday evening) and then until mid week or something. I would see the following benefits:
- Sprint participants don’t need to divide attention between preparing talks and actually participating in the sprint activities. (I feel that IF we are together we gain much more from working together and not sitting in a corner and creating slides)
- The conference participants get fresh and well slept speakers (depending on your home conditions ofc )
- the sprint is not “split apart” by the workshop for those involved in the workshop
Obviously there are drawbacks:
- Can’t use the sprint to dev something to show at conference (I feel this kind of last minute things should be avoided anyways?)
- Sunday becomes part of the sprint (problem?)
- Not much chance for pre conf alignment discussions etc. if needed.
In the end for me the pros are bigger than the cons.
- Change order (Conference then Sprint)
- Leave everything as is