Exception after installing and running the Neos-Skeleton

Hi,

I tried to follow the instructions of the Simple Setup ( Simple Setup (Linux/Mac OS) - Installation & Development Setup - Neos CMS - Neos Docs) and the Neos Skeleton Getting Started ( Neos-Skeleton/GETTING_STARTED.md at master · code-q-web-factory/Neos-Skeleton · GitHub).

In step 9 “Start the local server in the terminal” after running “./flow server:run” I get

./flow server:run
Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /var/www/neos-local/Packages/Framework/Neos.Flow/Classes/ResourceManagement/ResourceManager.php line 550

Type: Neos\Flow\Error\Exception
  Code: 1
  File: Packages/Framework/Neos.Flow/Classes/Error/ErrorHandler.php
  Line: 81

Open Data/Logs/Exceptions/20220117143240220099.txt for a full stack trace.

The log says

Exception #1 in line 550 of /var/www/neos-local/Packages/Framework/Neos.Flow/Classes/ResourceManagement/ResourceManager.php: Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /var/www/neos-local/Packages/Framework/Neos.Flow/Classes/ResourceManagement/ResourceManager.php line 550

27 Neos\Flow\Error\ErrorHandler::handleError()
26 Neos\Flow\ResourceManagement\ResourceManager::initializeStorages()
25 Neos\Flow\ResourceManagement\ResourceManager::initialize()
24 Neos\Flow\ResourceManagement\ResourceManager::getCollection()
23 Neos\Flow\Package::Neos\Flow\{closure}()
22 Closure::__invoke()
21 call_user_func_array()
20 Neos\Flow\SignalSlot\Dispatcher::dispatch()
19 Neos\Flow\Monitor\FileMonitor::emitFilesHaveChanged()
18 Neos\Flow\Monitor\FileMonitor::detectChanges()
17 Neos\Flow\Package::Neos\Flow\{closure}()
16 Closure::__invoke()
15 call_user_func_array()
14 Neos\Flow\SignalSlot\Dispatcher::dispatch()
13 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invokeStep()
12 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invokeStep()
11 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invokeStep()
10 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invokeStep()
9 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invokeStep()
8 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invokeStep()
7 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invokeStep()
6 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invokeStep()
5 Neos\Flow\Core\Booting\Sequence::invoke()
4 Neos\Flow\Cli\CommandRequestHandler::boot()
3 Neos\Flow\Cli\CommandRequestHandler::handleRequest()
2 Neos\Flow\Core\Bootstrap::run()
1 require("/var/www/neos-local/Packages/Framework/Neos.Flow/Scripts/flow.php")

Any idea for the reason?

My installation is Ubuntu 20.04 in a local VirtualBox VM on a Windows host, PHP 7.4, MariaDB.
My neos installation is in a shared folder of the host machine.

Found it myself :wink:

Due to the shared file system from the windows host, symbolic links are not available.

I made a fresh composer install with the repository locally in a guest (ubuntu) folder and it worked.

It would be nice if the installation process would detect that symbolic links are not available and abort with an apropriate error message.

The missing links were in Web/_Resources/Static/Packages/:

Neos.Flow -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Framework/Neos.Flow/Resources/Public/
Neos.FluidAdaptor -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Framework/Neos.FluidAdaptor/Resources/Public/
Neos.Media -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Neos.Media/Resources/Public/
Neos.Media.Browser -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Neos.Media.Browser/Resources/Public/
Neos.Neos -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Neos.Neos/Resources/Public/
Neos.Neos.Ui -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Neos.Neos.Ui/Resources/Public/
Neos.Neos.Ui.Compiled -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Neos.Neos.Ui.Compiled/Resources/Public/
Neos.RedirectHandler.Ui -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Neos.RedirectHandler.Ui/Resources/Public/
Neos.Setup -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Neos.Setup/Resources/Public/
Neos.Twitter.Bootstrap -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Neos.Twitter.Bootstrap/Resources/Public/
Shel.Neos.Hyphens -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Plugins/Shel.Neos.Hyphens/Resources/Public/
Sitegeist.Kaleidoscope -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Sitegeist.Kaleidoscope/Resources/Public/
Sitegeist.Lazybones -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Application/Sitegeist.Lazybones/Resources/Public/
MyTestCompany.Site -> /tmp/neos-test/Packages/Sites/MyTestCompany.Site/Resources/Public/

In that case I have to change my editing workflow without directly editing the files with my IDE and configure it to upload on saving a file.

2 Likes