Getting started with tutorials, 500 server error after site:prune

Hi again to all of you,

I installed a completely new Neos package (clean install from scratch).
Then I tried to begin with the german tutorials found on punkt.de.
Beginning with tutorial 2, after issuing these commands and creating and importing a new site, I only get 500 server errors. 500 errors are on the frontend as well as on the backend - login still works, after the login the 500 occurs.

This is the tutorial I found, step 2: punkt.de/…/neos-workshop-teil-2…

These are the commands I issued within context of flow context/flow user at the command line:

./flow site:prune
./flow package:delete Neos.Demo
composer remove neos/demo

./flow kickstart:site MY.SITE MYSITE
./flow site:import MY.SITE

After that, everything seems broken.

This 500 error is at the frontend and as well after logging in at the backend but with a different number.

I’m running Neos in production context.
This is what I see within apache log files:

172.16.11.85 - - [30/Apr/2017:21:59:10 +0200] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 10890 "http://neu.mydomain.de/en/features/frontend-user-login.html?--flowpack_neos_frontendlogin-loginform%5B%40package%5D=flowpack.neos.frontendlogin&--flowpack_neos_frontendlogin-loginform%5B%40controller%5D=authentication&--flowpack_neos_frontendlogin-loginform%5B%40action%5D=authenticate" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0"
172.16.11.85 - - [30/Apr/2017:21:59:10 +0200] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 517 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0"
172.16.11.85 - - [30/Apr/2017:21:59:49 +0200] "POST /neos/login HTTP/1.1" 303 529 "http://neu.mydomain.de/neos/login" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0"
172.16.11.85 - - [30/Apr/2017:21:59:51 +0200] "GET /@user-thisismyuser;language=en_US HTTP/1.1" 500 10890 "http://neu.mydomain.de/neos/login" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0"
172.16.11.85 - - [30/Apr/2017:21:59:51 +0200] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 517 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0"

So I hope I can get the Neos installation back and running, so maybe someone can help me, please?

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Instead of your apache error log, can you look in the Neos Flow System log located in Data/Logs/System_Development.log - it will give you more detailed information about what happened.

Hi, I’ve had a look at the System_Development.log, but couldn’t find anything really interesting there. There is so much information that I’m loosing the overview.
Question: Is the above outlined method of deleting/pruning the sites and creating a new site nowadays still the preferred method/best practice doing that?
Or did things change in ongoing development of Neos? I’m using version 3.1.
Where is the difference in creating a new site package on the console with the neos user and creating it within the backend module?
As I found out, the backend module does not delete/prune all previous stuff. Better?

I really have my difficulties getting startet with Neos.

Cheers,
Michael

I think you should run in Development context for now. This will also enable more extensive logging.
And did you flush the cache?

Hi David, thanks for replying. I decided to do a new clean install.
At that moment I noticed that when running in production mode the install tool doesn’t work.
I don’t know if that’s okay, but commenting prod mode out in apache site config did the job. So now I am on a clean install with a clean database.

But anyway - the above code for deleting/pruning sites and kickstarting a new one - is it okay? Or do you understand why it leaves me alone with 500’s ?
Are there any commands missing? Or is it better to create a new site package within the backend?

Hey Michael,

Or did things change in ongoing development of Neos? I’m using version 3.1.

The tutorial is up to date with the current version of Neos.

But anyway - the above code for deleting/pruning sites and kickstarting a new one - is it okay?

Yes it is. It is important to remove the demo package, as its configuration influences every own site package you create. Using the commands is absolutely fine and ensures you remove the package and code completely.

I’m running Neos in production context.

You shouldn’t do that. With production context a lot of caches kick in and you cannot change anything without flushing the caches. That is why the setup - which tries to change configuration - is also not working.

I really have my difficulties getting startet with Neos.

I would recommend to really stick to the tutorial. We use it to get complete beginners, even without much knowledge about web development into working Neos. The tutorial is actively used and therefore testet and I get a lot of positive feedback So try to use the provided vagrant environment which saves you from a lot of configuration hassle and try to stick to the steps and you will get a running neos without the mentioned problems.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

thanks a lot for getting back.

Great, so I now know that it’s up to date and you’re having an eye on it. :wink:

Okay, okay. I will switch back to dev mode. :wink:
Is it okay to you if I want to stay on my freshly setup Ubuntu 16.04.2 VM with standard apache installed? I set this VM up on one of my ESXi hosts, so that this VM sits in the DMZ. I configured apache to allow connections for the dev subdomain/virtual webserver only for my local network. I think this way I’m much more close to the final host (VM) so that I don’t get in trouble when finally moving the site off the vagrant VM to the destination host.

Cheers,
Michael