Hardware requirements

Hi, what minimum basic hardware would you suggest for a Linux installation of NEOS? I couldn’t find any recommendations in the requirements doc System Requirements - Installation & Development Setup - Neos CMS - Neos Docs.

I’m well aware that the specific requirements heavily depend on the size and the traffic of a site. But to know the basic needs (number of CPUs, amount of RAM and disc requirements) of NEOS itself for a performant system for a minimum site with minimum traffic would be helpful.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

idk, but would be intresting :wink:

At least during development you should raise the memory limit to about 250 MB in your php.ini file.

got this from Requirements — Flow Framework 7.3.x documentation

1 Like

We also have the requirements list.
https://docs.neos.io/cms/installation-development-setup/system-requirements

But I would say use better 512 or more memory for the PHP.
I often use 786 MB for the PHP on servers.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question… :wink:
What hardware configurations (virtual or physical) do you all use in your NEOS project(s) and is that project (in your opinion) a small, medium, or large project?
It would be nice if some of you could give some basic numbers from your real life projects:

• Number of CPUs/Cores
  • RAM in GB
  • HDD/SSD/whatever in GB
  • project size as small/medium/large

Hi

I indeed think this question is not easy to answer, as there are too many knobs or variables you can turn on. What classifies a small/medium/large project? Is it big in Gigabytes because it serves videos? Or is it small considering the disk space of the content, but on the front-page of the news resulting in insane numbers of requests? Is it optimized for traffic? Is 90% of the traffic handled by a CDN that sits in front of the small webserver that (hopefully not) sits under a sysadmin’s desk? I think you get the direction of thinking: It depends, a lot.

But to give you two real-world examples:

We run >40 Neos 5.3.x instances on a single server with 8GB Memory, 4 vCPUs (with 4 Cores each) and 200GB of Disk, but these are smaller sites that don’t get too much of concurrent traffic.

Or we run a larger website of one of our international customers on a dedicated host with the exactly same specs, but that one get’s a lot more traffic in comparision to the smaller websites mentioned before (and of course there are websites that are tens or hundreds of times bigger compared to this one).

All of our setups run on virtual servers hosted ourselves and I’s say the sizing is “big enough to not cause monitoring alerts every few days”, and neither oversized or optimized to be bone. No CDN at the moment - this would of course reduced server size requirements on our end, but add more complexity to the project (another thing to take into consideration IMO).

Hope this helps to get a first idea.

1 Like