Hoster Best Practice "Cookbook" or page

Hey guys,

I’ve been setting up a bunch of Flow and Neos projects with Surf at Mittwald during the last few weeks and noticed that there’s very little information that can be used to get started because there are some problems that needed to be solved in such environments.
E.g. there are some problems with Symlinks at Mittwald. There are some packages that can help with shared hosting packages like https://github.com/mneuhaus/Famelo.Surf.SharedHosting.
Do you think it would be a good idea to create a hosting FAQ/Cookbook separated into Getting Started and more advanced topics.
I could think of something like “What needs to be done to be able to run Flow version 2.x at Hoster xyz” in the Getting Started topic and “How to deploy a Neos or Flow Application with Surf at Hoster xyz”.

I’d be happy to coordinate something or start such a page but you guys would need to tell me where to do that as I’m not really familiar with the documentation tools that are being used yet. Additionally I think just writing a blog post about it would be a good start also but it would be more useful for most people if this could be found in the Flow and Neos documentation.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Regards,
David

1 Like

Basically you only need to find a place in the documentation (for Flow probably in the yet unused part on Deployment and Administration). Then find that inside the Documentation folder of the Flow package, add a new rst file there and start typing. Once you are satisfied, push a change as you would for code. :smile:

For help with rst check http://sphinx-doc.org/rest.html and to do quick tests tools like http://rst.ninjs.org are useful.

If you have sphinx installed (http://sphinx-doc.org/install.html) you can also change into the Documentation folder and run make html to render into _build/html for perfect checking.

The only thing you should ask yourself: start with a change to the docs right away, or collect stuff first (here, wiki, google doc)?

1 Like

bump :smile:

Hi @david_sporer - did you think about that a bit more? Or did anybody else?

I’ve not forgotten about this :smile:
I’ll try to write a draft about it here during the next few weeks and maybe a blog post afterwards (though I currently don’t have a blog but Medium will do I guess).
Or edit the documentation right away - but I think a draft here might be more useful as other people can correct and optimize things better.
But as I’m currently drowning in work I can’t promise when I’ll do this but I have it on the list for sure :smile:

1 Like

As I’ve got a few minutes now I’m just trying to get started and remember what I did to get my Surf Deployment up and running at Mittwald.
First of all I’ll describe my environment:
for a lack of different servers I’ve set up three different “Projects/URLs” at Mittwald.

• a test-“server” where the current develop branch is deployed. This is just used to test my latest developments by me and my colleague.
  • a staging-“server” where the latest release branch is deployed. This is used to do final tests by ourselves as we are in this case our “customers”. So if both of us have tested everything that needs to be tested manually there. After this has been done it’s deployed to the live server.
  • live server where we’re deploying the latest master branch

In general as this should be about a best practice regarding different hosters I’ll now start to describe what is needed to deploy things to Mittwald.
In general one thing that is not so easy currently is using Symlinks at Mittwald. The resource publishing doesn’t work without problems the default way.
The resource publishing only worked for me if I use following settings.
They are deployed together with the Settings.yaml via Surf.

For TYPO3 Flow 2.x

TYPO3:
  Flow:
    resource:
      publishing:
        fileSystem:
          mirrorMode: copy

For Flow 3.x

TYPO3:
  Flow:
    # Definition of the basic resource publication targets.
    resource:
      targets:
        # Target for publishing static resources to the local web directory
        localWebDirectoryStaticResourcesTarget:
          target: 'TYPO3\Flow\Resource\Target\FileSystemTarget'
          targetOptions:
            path: '%FLOW_PATH_WEB%_Resources/Static/Packages/'
            baseUri: '_Resources/Static/Packages/'
        localWebDirectoryPersistentResourcesTarget:
          target: 'TYPO3\Flow\Resource\Target\FileSystemTarget'
          targetOptions:
            path: '%FLOW_PATH_WEB%_Resources/Persistent/'
        baseUri: '_Resources/Persistent/'

Below you find my example Surf Deployment configuration that I’m using for Mittwald.
One Package that was really helpful is Famelo.SharedHosting by mneuhaus because it does all necessary patches of flow.bat and flow e.g.
If you want to have a more detailed look - here’s the github-Repository: https://github.com/mneuhaus/Famelo.Surf.SharedHosting

I’m also using rsync as transferMethod because composer caused some problems and I found it a lot easier to do everything locally and copy the whole thing to the server via rsync afterwards. That way it’s also easier to add new nodes because you have to care less about the target server configuration.
At least that’s what I found out - if anyone thinks different I’d be happy to discuss it.

<?php
use \TYPO3\Surf\Domain\Model\Node;
use \TYPO3\Surf\Domain\Model\SimpleWorkflow;

$application = new \Famelo\Surf\SharedHosting\Application\Flow();
$workflow = new SimpleWorkflow();

/* ---------------------------------------------------------------
 * DEFINE GENERAL SETTINGS - Start
 * ---------------------------------------------------------------
 */
// path where the Surf folders are created on the target servers
$application->setDeploymentPath('/html/passcreator-live');
$application->setOption('repositoryUrl', 'git@bitbucket.org:username/my.repository.git');
// checkout master branch
$application->setOption('branch', 'master');

// path to composer on the current machine
$application->setOption('composerCommandPath', '/usr/local/bin/composer');
$application->setOption('transferMethod', 'rsync');
$application->setOption('packageMethod', 'git');
$application->setOption('updateMethod', NULL);
$application->setOption('keepReleases', 3);
$application->setHosting('Mittwald');
 * DEFINE GENERAL SETTINGS - End
 */

* DEFINE TARGET SERVER - Start
 */
$node = new Node('my-node-name');
$node->setHostname('passcreator.de');
$node->setOption('username', 'myUsername');
 * DEFINE TARGET SERVER - End
 */

* CUSTOM COMMANDS - Start
 *  - add context and pkpass type to .htaccess file
 *  - flush cache
 *  - warmup cache
 */
// Add context and pkpass type to .htaccess
$editHtaccessCommandOptions = array(
    'command' => 'echo -e "\nSetEnv FLOW_CONTEXT Production \n\nAddType application/vnd.apple.pkpass .pkpass\n\n" >> {releasePath}/Web/.htaccess'
);
$workflow->defineTask('brainswarm.passcreator:editHtaccess', 'typo3.surf:shell', $editHtaccessCommandOptions);
$workflow->addTask('brainswarm.passcreator:editHtaccess', 'finalize');

// flush cache after everything is ready
$workflow->defineTask('brainswarm.passcreator:cacheFlush',
    'typo3.surf:shell',
    array('command' => 'cd {releasePath} && FLOW_CONTEXT=Production ./flow flow:cache:flush')
);

// warmup cache to make everything prepared for go-live
$workflow->defineTask('brainswarm.passcreator:cacheWarmup',
    'typo3.surf:shell',
    array('command' => 'cd {releasePath} && FLOW_CONTEXT=Production ./flow flow:cache:warmup')
);

// add cache flush and warmup task to finalize stage because otherwise smoke tests won't be able to run.
$workflow->addTask(array(
    'brainswarm.passcreator:cacheFlush',
    'brainswarm.passcreator:cacheWarmup'
), 'finalize');
 * CUSTOM COMMANDS - End
 */

* SMOKE TESTS - Start
 */
$smokeTestOptions = array(
    'url' => 'http://portal-next.passcreator.de',
    'remote' => TRUE,
    'expectedStatus' => 200
);
$workflow->defineTask('brainswarm.passcreator:smoketest-startpage', 'typo3.surf:test:httptest', $smokeTestOptions);
$workflow->addTask('brainswarm.passcreator:smoketest-startpage', 'test', $application);

$smokeTestOptions = array(
    'url' => 'http://portal-next.passcreator.de/login',
    'remote' => TRUE,
    'expectedStatus' => 200
);
$workflow->defineTask('brainswarm.passcreator:smoketest-login', 'typo3.surf:test:httptest', $smokeTestOptions);
$workflow->addTask('brainswarm.passcreator:smoketest-login', 'test', $application);
 * SMOKE TESTS - End
 */

$deployment->setWorkflow($workflow);
$application->addNode($node);
$deployment->addApplication($application);

?>

That’s what I have right here as I’m not at my normal work laptop right now.
If you think anything’s missing or should be explained in more detail or is plain wrong - just let me know :smile:

One thing that I think could be explained better on the Surf page is how to get started with it for dummies like I was when I started with it. It took me some time to get to this setup.

1 Like

I’ve decided to also write a blog post about this: https://medium.com/@sporerd/set-up-and-deploy-neos-and-flow-projects-at-mittwald-d1e94b665e8a

1 Like