Just how limited is the archive (ZIP) install?

Hi, I only discovered Neos recently and it looks very promising. I would like to install it on a client’s server and try to migrate his site to it. However, after having spoken to the hosting service, they said that the only way I am allowed to install it is via the ZIP archive. The whole Terminal/Composer method is impossible without changing hosting, as it would require a self-administered dedicated server, which we don’t have.

On the Neos site they say this : “Installing Neos from an archive is convenient if you just want to try Neos and for the first steps. If you want to dive deeper into Neos and create a real site with it, we recommend using the installation via composer, instead.”

My question is, just how limited is the ZIP version? What cannot be done with it? I can’t find any comparison with the Composer version anywhere.

Thanks!
Ric

It’s not limited, when we speak about feature. But upgrading this system is pretty more complex if you don’t use composer. And having access to a shell (SSH) can be pretty use full for admin CLI tools.

Without shell access you will have trouble running per ex. database migration.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there seems to be no guidance whatsoever for installing from the ZIP file, and I’m completely stuck now. I’ve uploaded the contents of the archive to my server, but I can’t see any file that resembles an install.php or similar, so I can’t go any further. I don’t know what to do.

I must say, this CMS looks amazing once it’s installed. But the install process itself is a bit of a nightmare. It would be good if there were more guidance. I suspect a large number of future users will find themselves in my position, particularly those on shared hosting platforms.

Can anyone help me to the next steps please? Many thanks!

1 Like

Well, it’s not as bad as you say (I hope). From https://www.neos.io/develop/download.html:

First download the archive for the Neos version you want to install. Then unpack the archive to your webserver document root directory and continue with the setup.

So, we “continue with the setup” by looking further down on that page… and reading on at “Setting up Neos”. Assuming you do not need to create a virtual server you reach

Go to http://neos.demo/setup and follow the on-screen instructions!

If that doesn’t work, make sure you have your hosting setup pointing to Web for the document root as well as mod_rewrite (or equivalent for e.g. nginx) enabled.