Neos install problems Debian 12 PHP 8.2

I’m trying to test Neos as an alternative to wordpress for a project, but can’t even get it to install. I’m a total Neos noob, but do have a lot of debian experience.

Any pointers to solutions or better install howtos would be very wellcome.

Followed the setup instructions from
https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-neos-cms-on-debian-11/
but with Debian 12 and PHP 8.2

All goes well until executing composer install in /var/www/neos/

nonroot@leia:/var/www/neos$ composer install
PHP Warning: Module “curl” is already loaded in Unknown on line 0
No composer.lock file present. Updating dependencies to latest instead of installing from lock file. See Basic usage - Composer for more information.
Loading composer repositories with package information
Updating dependencies
Your requirements could not be resolved to an installable set of packages.

Problem 1
- Root composer.json requires neos/setup ^6.0 → satisfiable by neos/setup[6.0.0].
- phpunit/phpunit[9.0.0, …, 9.2.6] require php ^7.3 → your php version (8.2.12) does not satisfy that requirement.
- phpunit/phpunit[9.3.0, …, 9.6.13] require ext-mbstring * → satisfiable by symfony/polyfill-mbstring[v1.0.0, …, v1.28.0].
- Conclusion: don’t install symfony/polyfill-mbstring v1.28.0 (conflict analysis result)
- Root composer.json requires phpunit/phpunit ^9.0 → satisfiable by phpunit/phpunit[9.0.0, …, 9.6.13].

To enable extensions, verify that they are enabled in your .ini files:
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/php.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/10-opcache.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/10-pdo.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/15-xml.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-calendar.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-ctype.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-curl.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-dom.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-exif.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-ffi.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-fileinfo.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-ftp.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-gettext.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-iconv.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-phar.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-posix.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-readline.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-shmop.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-simplexml.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-sockets.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-sysvmsg.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-sysvsem.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-sysvshm.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-tokenizer.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-xmlreader.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-xmlwriter.ini
- /etc/php/8.2/cli/conf.d/20-xsl.ini
You can also run php --ini in a terminal to see which files are used by PHP in CLI mode.
Alternatively, you can run Composer with --ignore-platform-req=ext-mbstring to temporarily ignore these required extensions.
nonroot@leia:/var/www/neos$

Hi,
Which version of Neos did it try to install?
You can find that in the composer.json as „neos/neos“

I was shooting for the 8.3 LTS version, which seems to have worked:
composer.json lists “neos/neos”: “~8.3.0”.

Looking at the output from “composer install” it seems to me, that the requirements aren’t handled gracefully. E.g. shouldn’t " - phpunit/phpunit[9.0.0, …, 9.2.6] require php ^7.3 → your php version (8.2.12) does not satisfy that requirement." be satisfied?

Also, I can’t figure out how or where to check on other requirements, like “neos/setup[6.0.0]”. This seems to be missing or the wrong version.

I just tested the command composer create-project neos/neos-base-distribution:^8.3 testneos successfully. But I have PHP 8.1 as my 8.2 is currently broken in my dev environment.
Could be a dependency issue there.

Thanks Sebastian. Since I’m only testing Neos I can downgrade to PHP 8.1 for now. I’ll post here if I’m successful.

Out of interest: PHP 8.2 is listed explicitly as supported for Neos 8.3 . So, if it is a dependency issue, it would be a composer dependency not a dpkg dependency, correct? Could a composer dependency be identified and resolved some how?

This shouldn’t be an issue on your side and should definitely work.
Can you create a new issue on Issues · neos/neos-development-collection · GitHub with your system information and versions.
We sometimes have dependency issues with third party libraries etc.

you need php-mbstring as the error message says. We require that and phpunit too, then it should work.

1 Like

In our docs Simple Setup (Linux/Mac OS) - Manual setup - Installation & Setup - Guide - Neos Docs we advise to have following php extensions installed:

sudo apt install php8.2 php8.2-{common,mbstring,mysql,xml,imagick,curl,intl,igbinary}

Thx guys, completely skipped the mbstring notice. One needs at least 8 eyes to read some composer errors :smiley:

1 Like