(New) CKEditor features to integrate?

I went through the release blog posts for CKEditor5 and collected what I thought is interesting.

It would be great to have some feedback:

• would these be useful?
  • is something already implemented, but I don’t know?

The latest CKEditor 16.0.0 is merged in the master branch of Neos.UI, but not yet released. Right now it’s a mix of things between 11.0.2 and 13.1.1…

Older?

• Block toolbar - not sure, but the inline editing balloon sure would be nice.
  • Autosave - no action needed; we do that, but do we use “their trigger system”?

• Media embed - could this be used to seamlessly integrate what currently would be a separate node?
  • Toolbars for widgets - might come in handy to expose things we’d rely on the inspector for now

• Paste from Word - needs to be installed, otherwise non-maintenance!?

• Distraction-free writing mode - combining the inline and block ballon, not sure we need this “as a feature”
  • Inline widgets - could be useful to insert dynamic data inline?
  • Multi-root editors - to have one editor for multiple nodes?

• Mention feature / autocomplete - for inline widgets from previous release?
  • Font and background color - rather skip that :slight_smile: -> but what about the existing highlight feature?
  • Remove formatting - a must have!

• UI for navigating between balloons - if we used balloons, we should support this

• Automatic text transformation (autocorrect) - probably handy, especially if configured via NodeTypes
  • Word count and character count - expose for custom code and/or display?
  • Link attributes - no action needed, already supported in the UI
  • Watchdog - not sure how/if this needs to be implemented, but sounds good

• RTL language support - we don’t have any RTL translation for the UI, but if we had…
  • Paste from Google Docs - needs to be installed (same as Word paste feature from 11.2.0)

• Horizontal line - why not?
  • Page break - might be useful for some
  • Responsive toolbar - no action needed, works automatic, but really nice!

• Code blocks - not a fully featured editor, but could be used for “inline editing” code blocks displayed with e.g. PunktDe.CodeView

Especially the styling of cells is be something I know clients look forward to!

1 Like

Wow, Karsten, thanks for the detailed research!
Not able to give an in-depth answer now, but one thing to keep in mind is that we have a completely custom UI, so not all features are effortless to integrate, we’d have to implement our own UI for them.
But there are indeed a lot of actionable items you’ve highlighted, so go for it!

Hey,

thanks for this great list :slight_smile: Following would be my assessment how easy/hard the topics would be:

Should be easy:

• Autoformat
  • Paste from Word
  • Paste from Google Docs
  • Remove formatting (needs one additional toolbar button)
  • Horizontal line
  • Page Break

Unsure, but would be nice:

• AutoCorrect
  • Code Blocks

Harder (because of our custom UI)

• Balloon and everything belonging to it
  • Responsive Toolbar
  • Inline Widgets (will require quite some concept work beforehand probably)

Hope this helps already :slight_smile:

All the best,
Sebastian

1 Like

Those I already used for some specific plugins for a customer. I had made some changes last year to the UI so the required classes are available for extensibility.

1 Like