Today, there was a discussion about the structure of the user docs between @rolandschuetz, @christianm, @daniellienert, @mgoldbeck and me. It was initiated by @rolandschuetz’s creation of an extensive German user guide (https://academy.codeq.at/de/neos-anleitung/einleitung).
We discussed how the Neos project could benefit from this guide and are suggesting the following steps:
- We remove the “user guide” section from readthedocs and put it in neos.io instead. This applies ONLY to the end-user facing documentation - developer docs will remain on RTD and english only.
- The “Docs & Support” Section will have 4 Parts in the future:
- End User Guide -> the part which is removed from the RTD docs
- Developer Guide -> today’s “Documentation”
- API Documentation -> stays as it is
- Support -> stays as it is
- We enable a language dimension for neos.io and translate the “End User Guide” section only. The rest of neos.io remains english. We display a language switcher and/or links to the different language versions of the user guide on the “End User Guide” page and its subpages.
- And lastly: We take over Roland’s awesome German user guide, update the English one and have a fantastic resource which we can point our customers to, making it easy for them to get started using Neos, which is the point of all this
Please give us feedback if you have any additions or would like to suggest other options!