Renaming TypoScript

+1 for short and no “Script” (explaining that it originated from TypoScript is still possible).
Also don’t forget that the full namespace will most probably be prefixed with “Neos”, so IMO it shouldn’t contain that name itself.

3 Likes

Flubber - “… erfindet er eine als Flubber bezeichnete Substanz, die fliegen kann. Sie kann sogar das Auto des Professors zum Fliegen bringen.” - see https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flubber

2 Likes

Any name without script in it would be great :smiley:

And please check Google before deciding on a name. Having a unique name that is easily searchable should be priority number one. IMHO.

1 Like

Maybe Neos.ProtoType

Another suggestion would be "Glue"
As we call it the glue between PHP and HTML already to describe what it does, so why not name it like this?
I think “Glue” would fit very good. Maybe we need a little add-on to make it better visible on google search like “2Glue”

Right, that was already suggested before :wink:

This is going to be hard… I’d say we need to find the essence and spirit of what TypoScript in Neos (or generally) is all about.

So I just collect some keywords here that could form a picture of that language:

• declarative
  • prototypes (or components)
  • extensible
  • efficient
  • expressions
  • very little code
  • flexible
  • rendering
  • forming content

It would be very nice to find a word that fits to “Flow” and “Fluid” or is as short as “Neos”. In the end it would also be nice to find a more unique name that is easier for searching.

Some non-unique names:

• Helix (Well, double helix and DNA is the blueprint of life)
  • Bond (because of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_bond, not James)
  • Nylon (it’s a polymer, flexible, can be shaped, starts with “N” like Neos)
  • Fibre
  • Fabric
  • Brick

Starting with “proto” like “prototype”:

• Proton
  • Protonic

Coming from “Nylon”:

• Nylog

So maybe this helps, so someone can have an epiphany and find us a really nice name…

2 Likes

Did you like the word “Dux” I came up with earlier?

Hmm, maybe someone should create a doodle, or at least another post, with all of the names that have been suggested in this thread… I can probably do that within the next week if no one beats me to it.

I second any opinion, that is for dropping the “Script” part. From reading the thread my favourite right now would be

Pipe

it’s simple, describes what it does, at least for me. It follows the the “one word scheme” you used so far and Flow -> Pipe -> Fluid :wink:

Just my 2c

Greets,
Thomas

@christopher “Nylon” is a trademark, AFAIK “Fibre” would be spelled “Fiber” …

out of your suggestions, I like “Fabric” most.

• Lava (fluid at first, but then it holds everything together. And it’s hot :wink: )
  • Gum (why not – I didn’t find a reference to programming languages at least, even no file extension yet)
  • Syrup (sounds slow)
  • Wax
  • Pilot (the pilot who helps ships navigating through a water way)

Okay, but probably it’s not Lava – here and here

Fabric is already taken in the software world :confused: - see: http://www.fabfile.org/.
I like bond and helix out of @christopher s suggestions.

I like gum.
Magma, like lava, is already taken (by a computer algebra system)
Others: flubber, helium, tube, plumbing, piping, pipeline

What about hive ?

… and renaming Fluid to “Honey”? :wink:

:bee: save the world :upside_down:

Hello,
my 2 cents:

Flow --> Surf --> Fluid
Flow --> Sweep --> Fluid
Flow --> Tie --> Fluid
Flow --> Drain --> Fluid
Flow --> Wave --> Fluid
Flow --> Surge --> Fluid (same pronounce like search > bad or …)
Flow --> Flux --> Fluid
Flow --> Affinity --> Fluid
Flow --> Hookup --> Fluid

I really liked the discussion and just skimmed trough the suggestions and let them sink in a little bit :wink:

My current favorite would be “Pipes”,

They are intentionally planed and have a purpose to direct a fluid in a structured manner from A to B. Although pipes are man-made, they still direct the fluid in a natural manner. The fluid does not get mutilated but rather directed into the desired direction :wink:

When thinking about “Pipes” I also had to think about making musik with a flute, a blues harb or an organ. You get different tunes depending on the configuration of your pipes.

I currently would not be in favor of anything sticky, gluy or wobbely. I can not help it, but I always have to think about a child getting everything messy and sticky or about using ducktape to keep parts in place.

Really looking forward some more discussion

1 Like

Yes, I’m also not in favour of the sticky category.

Pipes makes sense, but isn’t really love at first sight.
I do like Wave, just because of the word. But maybe we save that for something bigger?
Flux would both make sense and feel good.

+1 for Pipes, I like how that fits together with Flow and Fluid.
Certainly not Flux, that’s already taken and would cause a LOT of confusion since we will be using React soon :wink:

1 Like

What i would keep in mind is that fluid is not the final stage of the process and ist also not necessarily there.

The whole process is more like Flow -> TypoScript2 -> Fluid -> TypoScript2 -> Flow. Since some of us (especially me) like the idea of skipping the fluid part completely in the end and use atomic-typoScript2 for templating it would be great if the new name could also work alone.

To me the thing typoScript2 is about is declarative prototypes/components so imho the name should somehow relate to that.