The current documentation covers many use cases and has a lot of useful informations. But it is often hard to find the information.
We suggest to alter the structure of the documentation like so:
- Getting Started -> is targeted at decision makers who want to check neos out. It should provide all the information needed to get the demo site running and point out the unique feature neos offers technical wise.
- Technical Principles -> is targeted at developers who want to get a grasp on the key components and technologies included in neos. It offers a short introduction to each “buzzword” together with a link.
- User Guide -> contains the end-user documentation that is mainly about the structure of the backend and the modules there.
Creating a Site -> all the informations an integrator needs to setup
neos. No line of php goes in here but a basic 1.2.3 guide for
creating a neos website is added.
Extending Neos -> Documentation of the intended ways to extend neos
beyond what is possible by configuration. The range is from
DataSources to Custom Editors, Eel Helpers or even the integration
of a Flow Package.
Inside of Neos -> In depth explanation of the infrastructure of
neos. Covering Backend and Frontend.
References -> Autogenerated Documentation for ViewHelpers,
EelHelpers Typoscript etc. from all Packages that are in a default
(Demo Package) Setup.
- Contribute -> Link to the webpage
- How Tos -> Examples of common use cases plus a section of Best Practices.
Running Neos -> All kind of Informations regarding the
Installation and Deployment and Maintenance of Neos.
- Appendixes -> Contributers, ChangeLogs, ReleaseNotes …
In a first step we plan to move the existing documentation into this structure. Later on we want to begin filling the gaps by priority and to add cross references where it makes sense.
The Jira-Ticket: https://jira.neos.io/browse/NEOS-1376