Running Neos / Flow on Windows 10: Success!

Hey everybody,

I just had the chance in a workshop to properly test / work with Neos on Windows 10. If you know a few quirks, it is actually quite usable :slight_smile: - that’s why I am documenting it here. Thanks @aberl for your great tips!

Background

Then, “php.exe” is on your path.

Neos Setup

• download Neos using composer just as usual into a folder of your choice (it was c:\xampp\htdocs for me, but the folder does not matter I guess)

• adjust Settings.yaml and add Neos.Flow.core.phpBinaryPathAndFilename to C:/xampp/php/php.exe

• remove Data/Temporary

• inside an “administrator CMD.exe”, run flow flow:core:compile

• inside an “administrator CMD.exe”, run flow flow:cache:warmup (otherwise a symlink error occurs)

• inside an “administrator CMD.exe” flow server:run

• go to setup as usual.

Q/As

• If you get a doctrine error in setup step 3 or 4, remove Data/Temporary and start again with “flow flow:core:compile” from above
  • If you get a symlink error, it was because you did not run as administrator
  • You do not need to adjust flow.bat file
  • If you install new packages, as Administrator, you need to remove Data/Temporary and again run the commands from above.

End Result

Neos is actually working quite nice and fast (comparable to my mac performance), also Cache Flushing etc works nicely. So it works quite well I think :slight_smile:

All the best,
Sebastian

3 Likes

Remark: I’m not a fan of running everything as admin personally, so as a rule of thumb I’d always recommend installing XAMPP on drive D:\ or inside the User Directory on C:\ due to write permissions.

1 Like

I have recently switched to GNU + Linux (Fedora) to ease my development with Neos, but I also used Windows in the beginning. Using a Vagrant Box with Ubuntu 14.04 works very nicely on Windows 10 as an alternative and is very useful because you can share the box with others working on your project. Also, deployment is very simple this way. If you need any help, PM me, I wrote quite a lot of documentation on how to set it up. The time of proprietary software is over though.
EDIT: Fixed typo

Just fo a beginner like me, which settings.yaml file do I have to change, the one in the “Testing” folder?

Either the one in your Site or the one in the Configuration folder directly.

1 Like

Symbolic links are possible also for non-admins, with the appropriate policy / privilege applied (SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege).

Other tools like Git require Symlinks often, as well, so: In the mean time, Microsoft has also provided a Development mode, that enables non-admin Symlinks as part of its features.

Even without Development mode, you can still apply the privilege manually and avoid the need for an admin command line prompt.

Here is more: