Teams Project: Pull Request Review Pairings

Hey everybody,

during our nice sprint in Hamburg, we have had some ideas on how to tackle the 150+ pull requests in our project.

We had the discussion, and ended up with the following points ( - not exhaustive; as far as I can remember) :wink: :

• Longtime contributors in the Team have big experience on many areas of the code, thus they are required for doing many code reviews.
  • However, some of the $longtime contributors (such as me) don’t do many code reviews, also due to involvement in other big areas.
  • The newer Neos team members are still lacking experience in many|some code-areas; that’s why it’s a hard task for doing code reviews there.

Suggestion

The suggestion we came up with is the following:

We do “pairing” code review sessions between long-term and newer team members, as an effort to share the load, have a learning experience and social interaction, creating more fun along the process.

I’d aim for at most one hour of pairing code review per week and person.

Next Steps

• Everybody who considers himself as experienced and volunteers for pairing/coaching, please let me know on Slack.
  • Then, we’ll announce review spots; and try to match others who’d like to learn the review process :slight_smile:

Code Review “experts”

• [add your name here]

Pairing Partner

• [add your name here]

All the best,
Sebastian

2 Likes

Thanks to push the pair programming, I’m in at 100%, and will try to block to fixed 1 hour session per week, one during work hour and one in the evening or saturday depending on the needs.

1 Like

Hey everybody,

I’ll do the first open review session at Wednesday, 30.11. between 14:00 and 15:00 (UTC + 1 == Europe/Berlin) via google hangouts.

If you want to attend:

1. please like this post so I know you’ll be attending.
  2. please have some code reviews ready you’d like to go through together with me.

We’ll basically do code reviews for the full hour; see how many we get done during this timeframe.

All the best,
Sebastian
PS: Of course this is open for team members as well as non-team-members :heart:
PPS: @mentors: Please announce the time slots you have available for mentoring here.

1 Like

As discuss let only 10 users max be mentioned I add myself in a reply

Pairing Partner
@ mgoldbeck

Hey everybody,

@dimaip and myself had a session today where we reviewed the following PRs:

My next review session will be on Thursday, 08.12.2016 at 14:00 UTC+1 (=Europe/Berlin). Please LIKE this post if you’d like to join.

All the best,
Sebastian

2 Likes

Hey everybody,

I need to cancel my code review session today – will put up another day soon :slight_smile:

All the best,
Sebastian

alright, keep us posted! Hopefully I can join the next one, really like the idea.

I didn’t get around organizing a pairing session yet and frankly I can’t tell when I’ll be able to do so. But I also really like the idea!