showInCreationDialog option get a core feature for the upcoming Neos version?
But as it seems to be a little bit controversial, I’d like to get your opinions on whether this could be a core feature for Neos 4.2.
@dimaip had the following concerns
CreationDialog is meant for input of properties that are needed on node creation, it’s not an alternative UI to the inspector. I think it would actually screw up the UX if people would get used to editing the same information from multiple places. If entering information in the inspector is not convinient enough, we should fix it there, rather than providing a workaround. E.g. structured editing + guided input could help.
…and suggested to use the Flowpack.NodeTemplates package instead, but:
Why not use the NodeTemplates package?
I didn’t use the package in production yet, but it seems to be very powerful.
But for the simple and common use case above it seems to be a little over-sophisticated and it’s not as easy to add properties with mapping etc.
Besides I really think that we should refrain from using Fusion (or Eel) outside of Fusion files. We already do that for the label property, but IMO that should be deprecated in favor of specifying a Fusion prototype name.
However, I had a quick look at the source and it’s not too much code. So maybe we could implement a combination in the core
The following tasks would need to be tackled in order to include the functionality to the core:
- Agree about the suggestion
- The code probably needs a little cleanup
- Error handling - what if property mapping fails for example (but that’s probably also an issue in the regular inspector)
- Make all (core) editors work. Currently the media browser can’t be opened from the create dialog for example
- Possibly add (some) features of the NodeTemplates package, too?