What has been done with the last funding round
We’ve applied in January 2019 for our second round of funding. We’ve done quite a bit of work before Neos Conference 2019; and then recently started resuming the work at end of June (after a two-months break, which I personally needed to recharge my batteries). Currently, we have spent 9 of 12 working days in the budget; so we’re nearing the budget completion.
Originally Planned Goals reached
- implemented “Publish a single page” (that’s actually harder than it sounds at the first sight)
- got the Neos core change ready for merge. (TraversableNode)
- finalized the Event Sourcing core package, i.e. switch to Symfony Serializer
- Connected “Delete node” in the UI.
- actually tried to edit more and more content and see where things break.
Originally Planned Goals which were not reached
Additional goals reached
- tested with 50 000 nodes, to understand what performance problems we still need to solve.
- finished Move Node and integrated in UI
- implemented FlowQuery find() operation
- supporting multiple sites now
- implemented blocking command handling; so that we can be sure the projection is up to date before returning to the UI.
- various code cleanups
- tested with docs.neos.io (6000 Nodes)
- lots of integration fixes, like _hiddenInIndex support
- fixed reference handling in Neos UI
- created compatibility package to ease transition for parts of the Legacy API (like node.context.inBackend through Fusion)
- started with a stand-alone version of the CR, usable in arbitrary PHP projects – this is my hobby project currently
- started an Integrity Violation Detection and Fixer part (a.k.a. node:repair ) (not finished/merged yet)
- written a lot of doc pages on how the ES CR works internally to hopefully make it easier for team members to join the efforts.
The next (3rd) request for funding
For me and Bastian, the working mode of being able to focus on the CR rewrite is working quite well; and having funds helps me personally to focus a lot better on the project, also during my work time.
The next goal is: Be able to edit content on local docs.neos.io site as you do on the live site; so that we figure out what features we are sill missing. Further than that, I’d like to dedicate some of the money to spread knowledge in the team, f.e. by organizing a sprint.
In detail, some of the next steps are:
- finish integrity violation detection
- implement access restrictions to non-public workspaces
- various code cleanups (e.g. move NodeAddress to CR)
- finish workspaces module
- implement workspace discard and document discard
- delete unneeded content streams (once they are merged into live workspace)
- improve resilience of the system (i.e. of the projector)
I’ll again promise that we aim to stay focused on the critical path as we see it; and work on the most critical issues we see which block actual usage of the new CR. We’ll keep you updated here as usual.
So the goal would be to have CR work until end of the year funded with another 15.000 €.
(depending on the other granted budgets, I’d be fine with 10.000 € as well).
NOTE: This does not contain a poll, because we will do a Konsensierung with all the other budget proposals handed in.
I know that I am again asking for quite a lot of money; and I am very aware that this eats up a big part of our funds. If we find other ways to finance this work or make it happen without funding, I’d be very happy as well. For instance, if people want to step up and organize a crowdfunding, this would be very much appreciated!
All the best,