Spending available 2019 budget

Hey Neos team members and community. We currently have around 18k€ in our piggy bank with approx. 10k€ coming in until the end of the year. So 28k€ to be spent.

As every year it would be a pity to let too much of that go to taxes…

So, please propose ideas how to spend some of the money for the Neos project. Please answer the questions posted in “How is a budget requested?” with your proposal: Guideline: How to apply for a budget from the Neos Project (draft)

We will collect suggestions until 30th August 2019 and vote on the suggested topics afterwards.

Thanks
Tobias

I would love to see the budget going to:

• Event Sourcing
  • Writing Documentation

just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to see the budget going towards

• A lighter Neos Flow framework. Topics being:
    • Separation of ORM requirement (package-wise)
    • Move routing object path mapping to a cache instead of database table
    • Have persistent resource work without a database

The task is originally proposed here

And I’ve been working on the AccountInterface since

and hope to have it in the next Flow release

4 Likes

Hey everyone - really good initiative :upside_down_face:

I’ll post a request for funding for the Event Sourced CR in the upcoming days! I just need some time to prepare it, to explain the current state, etc.

All the best,
Sebastian

3 Likes

Things I’d like to have prioritized/funded to get them done:

• improve documentation further. The last effort was awesome, but there’s still some things to improve! For example there are a couple of “Draft” articles and e.g. https://docs.neos.io/cms/manual/using-neos-with-php-flow leads to a “page not found”, more videos (even more introductory than the current ones)…

• create a process for the new documentation (docs.neos.io) that is sustainable/workable for every contributor. Currently AFAIS it involves reaching out for an account, going into the Neos backend and writing the documentation there, asking for a review, until it is published eventually. This is a lot of manual steps and jumps to make and most importantly, it’s fully disconnected from the development cycle. While this has benefits (make writing documents accessible to non-devs), it likewise currently has the drawback of making writing docs less accessible to devs. Optimally, both would be possible. So IMO we need a process where one can just write some md/rST that is checked into the code together with a new feature to explain it on a very basic/low level, which then gets automatically fetched and rendered in the existing docs.neos.io side by side with manually written docs. This base documentation can then be enriched with a manual written page, that references back to the git versioned feature documentation.

• invest some time/fund into improving our operations processes - namely automated testing, code quality assurance and release management. While this currently “works” thanks to the awesome work of a few, it is still a bit fragile. A bunch of the TODOs is already tracked under https://github.com/neos/release-process/issues
    The upmerging process could be improved and half-automated, so that anyone can at least start an upmerge process with a button click and that requires review/intervention only on merge conflicts. The process of releasing a (at least patch-level) version, could be more or less fully automated, maybe only requiring a final “approve” review (and adjust) for automatically generated release notes (strip contribution template artifacts from PR messages, generate and create a PR with the release notes doc that once merged, tags a new patch release and maybe even prepares a discuss post/announcement).

• make the product (Neos CMS) more accessible for the typical target group of a wordpress homepage with content editing capabilities for the customer. This involves (roughly in order of importance):

• easier installation on shared hosting, possibly independent of composer (yes, I know - but wordpress wouldn’t be so successful if it depended on a composer install though)
    • more options for base installations that just fulfill basic users’ core requirements (Roland wants to create a couple of templates, which is a great step! Templates to get people hooked on Neos)
    • providing a set of base content elements/node types that are well documented so they can be easily adjusted even by non-proficient web devs
    • (optional) interactive guide through the Neos backend for first-time users with something like http://bootstraptour.com/
2 Likes

Hey everybody,

please find my request for funding the ES CR here:

I totally know the other topics mentioned here are also very relevant to the project - and I love if others pursure them further as well!

All the best,
Sebastian

1 Like

Hey everybody,

as far as I understand, we need votable budget applications by August 30. So far, we only have a single budget application (ES CR); the remainder is a set of floating ideas without budget amounts or a budget owner.

So, if you want to make your ideas reality, please create a budget application post and link it here, with details on the amount of the budget, who will be the budget owner, and who will spend time on it if the budget is granted (gather a team for your topic).

All the best,
Sebastian

Hello everyone

I think that with the 28k in the piggy bank it would be interesting to see how many people/groups are stepping up with funding requests and which amount of money would still be missing. As a so-called “Longtime Supporter”, we really like it that the money is spent by the end of the year. I think that an additional crowdfunding would be OK if more funds were requested than needed. On the other hand, we must keep in mind that it’s always the more or less same group of ~25-30 agencies (including the agencies of you people that already do so much voluntary work) that take part in funding. Maybe (I’m not sure at all!) it would be better to concentrate on outreach for getting more longtime supporters. Part of the outreach could be a preview on planned changes for the next major versions.

Personally, my two favourites are the ES CR and Documentation.

One big missing thing in Neos is the possibility to roll back changes that someone made to content. Last week, we spent several hours trying to fix a site where an accidental move operation over 18k nodes ran into a timeout, leaving a part of the nodes at the new and the rest at the old location. As far as I understood, the new ES CR would enable to create mechanisms for rolling back changes.

On the other hand, the documentation has improved so much during this year that I assume granting additional funds will further stimulate having good documentation.

I’m looking forward to the individual proposals. Thanks everyone for your efforts!

1 Like

Hello everyone!

i would like to see the budget going to these 3 things:

Make it easier for business people to try neos
Currently we don’t have a demo, which doesn’t need any installation. We should provide a demo instance, so anybody can try Neos with a few clicks.
I think this doesn’t eat much money. I maintain a demo instance in AWS, which costs me ~40 bucks a month. I can help here, if you which :slight_smile:

Make the documentation even better
We have docs.neos.io and the documentation on readthedocs. In my experience, this confuse some people because they don’t know how to look at. So we should this be more clear.

Event Sourced CR
Personally i would love to see the Event Sourced CR to be finished. I think it could be that USP for neos. I don’t know any CMS/CMF which has this feature built in.

Cheers and have a nice week(end)!

1 Like

I will start creating a budget application for the “Light Flow” project at the end of this week.

1 Like

I’m happy if the CR stuff gets a big part of the budget.
Is the budget for the 5.0 and 5.1 release already included?

I’m also currently thinking about a SEO feature related budget, but I’m not sure if I’m able to put that into a full application until my holiday next week. But we also achieved a lot in the last 12 months and there was not too much feedback yet on possible improvements or further features. Maybe I’ll rather apply for something for Q1 2020.

Another possible topic would be the technical work on neos.io as this is currently going very slow right now. This is also a bit related to the demo that was already mentioned. @tschoeki what do you think?

1 Like